Wednesday, February 19, 2014

the Hungry Caterpillar ....through a window DRESS

It is Flip this Pattern February over at Frances Suzanne and I love these Ladies style so much that I try to sew along each month. This month was the Josephine dress pattern by Violette Field threads. I bought The very hungry caterpillar fabric by Eric Carle from one of my favorite online stores Pink Chalk fabrics a while ago knowing I wanted to make a dress for Bella with it and so came the ..........


this month pattern lend itself to nice spring dress for Bella . And what better fabric to celebrate spring - fabric that tells the story of a caterpillar that turns into a beautiful fabric. I have to say there was a few times I wanted to give up just because certain things didn't work out but I am glad I pushed through.

I wanted to do something different on the front panel instead of the pin tucks and when I saw the below issue of Quilt-it with the beautiful cathedral window pillow I thought it would be a great idea for the front panel. I am not a quilter so I just hoped that I would manage to pull it off.

Instead of the ruffle under the button placket I did it on the under skirt on the edge.




The process:
  • I cut the front in back panel at the middle, folded the front in on the middle to take care of the pintucks. Curved the side seams so the dress is more fitted and also curved the armholes. I kept the collar as is. Added a lining so the whole dress is fully lined. Before anything I made the cathedral windows. You can find instructions here - I chose to sew it with the machine just to be more sturdy and it was pretty easy that way. 
Each window I added either blue or a piece of fruit inside. I first sewed with red around the fruit windows. Then I decided I didnt like it and had to pull ALL of out and sewed it with white. This was my first time sewing cathedral windows and I would like to do it again with a pillow. Ive learned a lot and hopefully next time smoother.


I loved the effect of the little caterpillar crawling out in the middle of the window....


And we are ready for spring......


Isabella in a pose.....


We had to have a teaparty......
I love the back.....


 and we can even stretch out....


Till next time........ Flip This Pattern

7 comments:

  1. Amazing design. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! And amazing quilting for not being a quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good! I love a cathedral window and this is such a fun application. The dress is amazing. Great Flip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bodice-- such a unique take on the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love how you incorporated the cathedral windows into the bodice. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cathedral window quilt is my all time favorite so I especially love this dress! The placement of the little fruits is adorable and love the blue collar!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi ,
I would love to hear from you